When do I need a permit?
Call the Department of Planning and Community Development at (314) 993-0252 and chat with an inspector. The following projects generally require a building permit:
-Repair, replacement, or construction of any existing or new:
-Fence, regardless of the length to be repaired, replaced, or constructed
-Deck, even if you are replacing a deck railing or structural member such as joists
-Patio cover, porch overhang, and other common roof-structures
-Flat work, including driveways, driveway turnarounds, patios, and sidewalks consisting of asphalt or concrete
-Retaining walls three feet or more in height
-Enclosure of an outdoor patio or carport
-Repair, removal, and relocation of a shed or accessory structure
-Removal or installation of kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, or new fixtures such as sinks, shower stalls, etc.
-Replacement of any sheathing or decking underneath the roof shingles during a reroofing.
-Replacing more than 25% of the siding on an exterior wall or proposing to re-side more than 25% of an exterior wall on your house
-Placement or construction of any pool, permanent or temporary, which can hold water 24-inches or more in depth. Note all pools must be in a secured fenced in area.
-Interior demolition
-Addition or new construction
-Sign placement and relocation

Show All Answers

1. How can I contact my City Council Members?
2. When do I need a permit?