Planning & Community Development
OPERATIONS DURING COUNTY "STAY AT HOME" ORDER
Department staff is working to continue providing services as it relates to permit reviews and building inspections.
Permits. To facilitate review of building permits, we ask that plans be submitted electronically. E-mail contacts are available on the right side of this window. If you cannot forward electronically, please call the office to coordinate drop off. We are committed to maintain our normal review schedule, which is 10-working days.
Inspections. For the safety of our employees, the schedule for inspections will be limited in dates and times. We may not be able to coordinate a specific time as we have in the pass, but work within a window of time. For inspections, please call (314) 993-0252.
Occupancy Inspections. Requests for occupancy, including new home sales, condo sales, apartments, change in tenants, and biennial rentals must complete the APPLICATION tied to this link. An inspector will coordinate with you once the completed form is received.
Planning & Community Development
The Department of Planning & Community Development oversees the development and construction of all residential and nonresidential properties through the issuance of occupancy inspections, building permits, soil and grading permits, and subdivision permits. The Department also oversees the enforcement of the City's property maintenance standards, the enforcement of local zoning and land use regulations, including implementation and updates to the City's Strategic Plan, as adopted in August of 2006.
Department staff also coordinates activities of the:
- Planning and Community Design Commission,
- Economic Development Commission,
- Board of Building Appeals, and
- Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Occupancy inspections
- Building permits
- Soil and grading permits
- Subdivision permits
The City of Olivette has adopted the following building codes:
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- Fire Works
Common Building Projects Requiring a Permit
- any building or structure is constructed, enlarged, altered or demolished;
- there is a change in the occupancy of any building or structure;
- there is a change in the use of any building or structure; or
- any equipment serving a building or structure is installed or altered (§500.070).
The following projects generally require a building permit:
- Repair, replacement, or construction of any existing or new:
- Fence, regardless of the length to be repaired, replaced, or constructed
- Deck, even if you are replacing a deck railing or structural member such as joists
- Patio cover, porch overhang, and other common roof-structures
- Flat work, including driveways, driveway turnarounds, patios, pavers (including patio pavers and stepping stones), and sidewalks consisting of asphalt or concrete
- Retaining walls three feet or more in height.
- Enclosure of an outdoor patio or carport.
- Repair, removal, and relocation of a shed or accessory structure.
- Removal or installation of kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, or new fixtures such as sinks, shower stalls, etc.
- Residential and Commercial roofing or re-roofing, including the covering/removal/replacement of any shingles, and sheathing or decking underneath the roof shingles.
- Replacing more than 25% of the siding on an exterior wall or proposing to re-side more than 25% of an exterior wall on your house.
- Placement or construction of any pool, permanent or temporary, which can hold water 24-inches or more in depth. Note all pools must be in a secured fenced in area.
- Interior demolition.
- Addition or new construction.
- Sign placement and relocation.
Any work construction that has been authorized though an approved building permit is limited to the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Construction work prior to 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. is prohibited. Construction work on a Sunday is prohibited.
Make sure to call the Public Services at 314-993-0252 for more information on any of these items. The Department of Public Services is located at 1200 North Price Road. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.