“In The Center of It All,” the City of Olivette is a suburban community in the center of St. Louis County. Incorporated in 1930, Olivette is full of charm and local pride —home to approximately 8,000 residents -- Olivette currently has the largest growing population of foreign-born residents in St. Louis, County.
With an operating budget of $8.7 million, Olivette provides a wide array of services, including police and fire protection, building inspections, and public works, with 104 full-time employees. Olivette’s Police Department is internationally accredited through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), providing the citizens of Olivette the highest level of police service by meeting nationally set standards of police excellence through model policies, procedures, and practices. The Olivette Fire Department provides both fire protection and ambulance services. In addition to being professionally trained Fire Fighters, all Olivette Fire Fighters are State Licensed Paramedics. Our Industrial Parks house over 50 commercial and corporate companies serving local and national consumers, and our 100 acres of parkland and open green spaces provide a variety of recreational amenities, including a multi-use path and dog park.
A part of the nationally ranked Ladue School District, Olivette is devoted to serving and providing our residents with an excellent quality of life offering a diversity of housing options ranging from single-family homes to apartments, solidifying Olivette as a place anyone can reside. Olivette’s Parks & Recreation Department offers 30+ classes and programs at the community center, Five Oaks on Warson.
The vision and goals of Olivette’s Strategic Plan are beginning to bear fruit starting with the 3.5-million-dollar bond issue that paid for the construction of Olivette’s City Center, the approval of a buzzing development plan, the I-170 Olive Crossinf, which includes a hotel and office space in addition to retail and dining, the Olive Boulevard: Concept Master Plan, and the extension of the Centennial Greenway to Olivette. Our Parks Master Plan implementation provided a new community center and wayfinding signage throughout Olivette while our blossoming partnerships with 39 North and the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center put Olivette at the intersection of AgTech research and innovation.
No matter what you want to do, chances are you’ll find it in beautiful Olivette.
Olivette is a Home Rule Charter city operating under a Council-Manager form of government, with the City Council appointing a Mayor from amongst the five elected Council members.
History of Olivette
The history of Olivette begins with the indigenous population of Osage (Wazhazhe) people who lived on the land dating as far back as the 1600s. In the 1820s, Olivette was known as Centerton, the central point on the overland route between the Mississippi and Missouri rivers settled by the Germans and French. As a quiet country village, farming area, booming residential suburb, and a growing industrial and business center, Olivette has met each challenge with energy and initiative.
25 Olivette Fun Facts
1. We're The Tops!
Olivette's elevation of 700 feet above sea level makes it one of the highest communities in St. Louis County. Since water runs downhill, the City of St. Louis decided this would be the perfect location to build the Stacy Park Water Reservoir in 1926.
2. Load Up the Wagons
The corner of Old Bonhomme and Price Roads had great significance to travelers in the 1800s. It was the exact halfway point for wagon trains heading west between the Port of St. Louis on the Mississippi River and Howell's Landing on the Missouri River.
3. For the Record
The album cover for the rock group Head East's 1975 smash record "Flat as a Pancake" was shot in our own Olivette Diner.
4. Links to the Past
Olivette's Indian Meadows subdivision was once the site of an 18-hole golf course.
5. Four to One
In 1930, the city of Olivette was formed by combining four different communities: Central, Olive, Stratmann and Tower Hill.
6. Hail, Caesar
The property that eventually became Stoneyside Lane was once owned by a man named Julius Caesar.
7. A Force of One
The City of Olivette's original police department consisted of one town marshal.
8. Water Log
The Stacy Park Reservoir can hold up to 100 million gallons of water!
9. The Subdivision That Almost Wasn't
The original Oak Estates Subdivision, with streets named Brighton Avenue and Chelsea Avenue., was planned before World War II. But plans were scrapped when city officials deemed the lot sizes too small. Subdivision plans were finally revised and approved in the 1950s.
10. Park It Here
Olivette has more city parks per person than most of our St. Louis area neighboring communities. Five parks = a park for every 1500 citizens!
11. The Old School
Olivette has had a school at the corner of Price and Old Bonhomme Roads for more than 150 years. When it was built, the original two-room building was the only brick schoolhouse in the county.
12. Our Gang
During the 1920s and 30s, a notorious group of underworld gangsters, known as Egan's Rats, made a large Olivette home known as the Maxwellton Club their headquarters. Neighbors complained about the noise and flying bullets whenever the gang held target practice. Ironically, the building was directly across Olive Street Road from what is now the Olivette Police Department.
13. A Baseball Town
Hall of Famer Lou Brock, former Cardinal broadcaster Jay Randolph, and Phil Ozersky (the man who nabbed Mark McGwire's record-setting 70th home run) are all former Olivette residents.
14. Okay, a Football Town, Too
Cardinal Football greats Johnny Roland, Jim Hart, and Jim Bakken also once lived here.
15. A Salute to the Scouts
The flagpole at Stacy Park was made possible by a 1967 fund drive conducted by the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts of Olivette
16. What's an Olivette?
The dictionary defines "Olivette" as "a large theatrical floodlight having a single bulb," but our town probably was named Olivette because the main road into St. Louis connected with Olive Street.
17. The Grocery List
Even though today we lack Schnuck's or Dierberg's, Olivette has had many grocery stores through the years: Schmidt's, Robyn's, Maile's, Niese's, The Olive Branch, Faeger's, and Mercurio's. The last two grocery stores in Olivette were National (where Party City is now located) and Flotken's (where the Shane Co. building now stands.)
18. Memories On Ice
In the early 1900s, many Olivette kids loved ice skating on Bock's Pond- on the property now occupied by Stacy Park. Also, before Saint's on Warson Road was a roller skating rink, it was an ice skating rink.
19. From Graveyard to Playground
Centerton Park on Old Bonhomme Road is the former site of St. Martin's cemetery, dating back to the 1840s.
20. This Old House
There are at least a dozen homes in Olivette that are a century old or older. The Fishbone house on Old Bonhomme predates county records, begun in 1875.
21. Olivette Lays Down the Law
Many modern home development laws were pioneered in Olivette, including ordinances setting standards for residential land grading and the installation of home swimming pools.
22. How Do You Like Them Apples?
The largest apple orchard in St. Louis County once grew on the Steinmeyer property on Old Bonhomme Road. The orchard was eventually leveled to make way for the Arbor Road subdivision
23. Camp OB
In the 1920s, migrant workers building the Stacy Park Reservoir lived with their families in tents on the land where Old Bonhomme School now stands.
24. Across the Border
If you stood in the middle of Price Road where Delmar ends, you'd be in three cities at one time! (Olivette, University City, and Ladue.) However, we don't recommend you do this.
25. Don't Step in the Mud
Olive Street Road was created in 1851 when the Central Plank Road Company laid wooden boards west of Olive Street to avoid muddy roads during the spring rains.