- Boards & Commissions
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Apply to the Zoning Board of Adjustments with the APPLICATION.
Fees associated with the appication total $400. This includes the $200 meeting application fee, $50 for covering the posting of the public hearing, and $150 for covering court reporter costs.
- 7 p.m.
- Meets as needed, on the 2nd Thursday of each month
- 1140 Dielman Road
Olivette, MO 63132
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes | View Agendas and Minutes From 2012 and Older
OverviewPrescribed under Missouri law, the Board overhears and decides appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, or decision or determination made by a Building Official in the enforcement of the City’s Zoning Regulations.
In addition to, the Board interprets the provisions of the City’s Zoning Regulations to carry out the intent and purpose of the Zoning Map, permit the reconstruction of a nonconforming building which has been destroyed or partially destroyed by fire of other act of God, and to authorize a variance where the strict application of any provision would result in peculiar an exceptional practical difficulties and particular hardship upon the owner of such property.
In accordance to Article XVI Board of Adjustment of the City of Olivette Zoning Ordinance:
The Board of Adjustment may authorize a variance where:
- by reason of exceptional narrowness, shallowness or shape of a specific piece of property of record, or
- by reason of exceptional topographical conditions or
- other extraordinary or exceptional situation or condition of a specific piece of property,
the strict application of any provision of the Zoning Ordinance would result in:
- peculiar and exceptional practical difficulties and
- particular hardship upon the owner of such property and
- amount to a practical confiscation of such property
as distinguished from a mere inconvenience to such owner, provided such relief can be granted without substantial detriment to the public good and without substantially impairing the general purpose and intent of the comprehensive plan as established by the regulations and provisions contained in the Zoning Ordinance.
In considering all proposed variances, the board shall, before making any finding in a specific case,
- first determine that the proposed variance will not constitute any change in the zoning district map and
- will not impair an adequate supply of light and air to adjacent property, or
- unreasonably increase the congestion in public streets, or
- increase the public danger of fire and safety, or
- diminish or impair established property value within the surrounding area, or
- in any other respect impair the public health, safety, comfort, morals and welfare of the City of Olivette. Every variance granted or denied by the board shall be accompanied by a written finding of fact, based on sworn testimony and evidence, specifying the reason for granting or denying such variance.
- In exercising the above-mentioned powers, the board may, in conformity with the provisions of the law, reverse or affirm, wholly or partly, or may modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appealed from and may make such order, requirement, decision or determination as ought to be made, and to that end shall have all the powers of the building commissioner.
The concurring vote of four (4) members of the board shall be necessary to reverse any order, requirement, decision or determination of the building commissioner, or to decide in favor of the applicant on any matter upon which it is required to pass under this chapter, or to effect any variance.